Fiona Wilkinson, MSc, ND, PhD
It is a well known fact that the atmosphere and food we eat and drink are crammed with harmful chemicals that enter the body and add to the build up of toxins that hamper the proper functioning of our bodies.
Add to this the pesticides and fumes we breathe in unknowingly adding to the build up of toxins. Before long the body will begin to reel under the effects of these harmful toxins and will need to be cleansed. This cleansing process is called detoxification.
Our bodies do have a natural cleansing mechanism which works via the kidneys and liver. But what often happens is our systems become over burdened and may need some external help from us to clean out the circulatory and excretory systems.
One of the processes practiced for detoxification is prolonged fasting. This can be an unhealthy process as the body needs nutrients to sustain itself. The best way is to resort to a detox diet assisted with detox body herbs as well.
Since the immune system is the mechanism that defends the body from disease, toxins cause the us to fall ill as the immune system is the first to be affected by harmful levels of toxins in the system. This is why it is necessary to remove the toxins from the body through a detox process.
Some of the best detoxifying herbs used to cleanse the system are:
- Psyllium Husk promotes bowel movements and cleans the bowls of toxins very effectively. The herb itself acts like a sponge absorbing the toxins and passing them out.
- Cascara Sagrada is another very effective laxative that is used to flush out toxins from the system and is used along with the psyllium.
- Milk Thistle simulates protein synthesis in the liver which is the cleansing organ of the blood.
- Nettles may used in combination with other detox herbs for cleaning the urinary system of toxins.
- Burdock roots are used when the need to cleanse the system is very urgent. This herb reduces the build up of heavy metals that can cause problems within the system.
- Dandelion roots are herbs with the strongest detoxifying properties. These herbs are used to clean the gall bladder and kidneys of waste. Dandelion root is used in conjunction with other detox herbs as other organs need to be cleansed simultaneously.
Don’t forget to detox regularly. If you can’t get away for a week or two, you can always do a detox at home. I recommend this one and details can be found on the website here…